Jump ahead two weeks and I come to find out that I have a throat infection and acute laryngitis. Now I've had plenty of sore throats and even temporary hoarseness after a concert or day of roller coasters, but have never lost my voice completely - until now. It definitely sucks. Here's why:
1. I can't talk.
I guess I never thought of myself as a big talker, but its one of those "you don't know what you've got til its gone" moments. This phenomenon made it very difficult for me to make my doctor's appointment over the phone and even harder to explain my symptoms to the doc.
2. My throat is killing me.
Seriously, when I cough its like someone is waxing the linings of my throat with duct tape.
3. I'm missing work.
Normally I'm all for getting a sick day here and there but I just took a week off and have another one coming up for Thanksgiving so I really needed to actually make some money this week. Not to mention, it is minimum day schedule all week so I was going to be getting extra time to prep. Grrrr.
4. I'm on steroids.
Yes, they have managed to minimize the Hulk-like swelling of my throat so that I can once again swallow and breathe, but they also make me want to vomit up everything I ingest, including themselves. I also have concerns about possible roid-rage although it could just be cabin fever.
5. The weather is mocking me.
Seriously, San Diego? Must you have the most beautiful and perfect weather while I am cooped up inside the house, wrapped in my sick-blanket cocoon? And when I do open a window to get some fresh air, its so dry that I immediately launch into a coughing fit (see #2).
There are lots of other reasons I could complain about, but honestly I'm just too exhausted (from doing nothing, because that makes sense, right?) to list them.
In conclusion, let me clarify one thing. When a girl wishes for her life to be more like that of a Disney princess, this is NOT the moment that she means...
![]() |
| Dammit, Ursula! Give it back! |

No one wants the life of a Disney princess before the happily ever after! All that stuff leading up to it is the pits.
ReplyDeleteAlso, how ridiculous is a doctor or nurse wanting to talk to you when your voice is gone? When I had my bout of strep & mono, my mom called them and they *insisted on speaking with me. Just to hear how bad I was? Lame! There should be some sort of medical Skype service so we can point at our throats and gesture wildly.